Monday, January 30, 2012

My New Plan

In January 2011, I was diagnosed as hypothyroid. I did not seek out the diagnosis. In fact, I was really upset when the bloodwork came back, and I got the phone call that I needed a follow up. I then became hopeful, because in 2010, despite my new interest in running...training for and running several 5ks, and cross training when I wasn't hitting the pavement or treadmill, my weight didn't change much. I was also keeping my diet in check, but getting no results. I started my medication for hypothyroid in late January and continued on with my life. At first, the only thing that really changed was taking the morning medicine and then waiting an hour to eat....I had always been a first thing in the morning breakfast eater. A couple of months later after reading more about hypothyroid I tried to cut out soy from my diet (it can interfere with the uptake of my medication)...goodbye my yummy steamed edemame. But still...there was no real change in my diet...though I did notice a change in my fatigue level. I didn't feel the need to seek out anything different. I was working out at least 5 days a week and tracking my calories...I kept thinking eventually something would happen and the scale would move.

In the fall, I caught an episode of Dr. Oz that talked about carb cycling. It sounded interesting, but I was used to counting calories...at the same time I had increased my workout time (my Tuesday Zumba class didn't start until 7 and I got off work at 5...why not get in some more time on the treadmill.) During September and October with increased exercise I lost about 3 lbs. In October I started eating soup for lunch and my weight hopped 5lbs in about 6 weeks...even though I was still killing it with the workouts. I spoke with a friend and she suggested the sodium in the canned soup might be the culprit, so I dropped the soup at lunch and lost 2lbs. But I WAS FRUSTRATED!!! I had friends in blog world that had lost 50 -100lbs, and I was struggling with 5lbs. I started to question my workouts...were they intense enough? I started questioning my diet...should I lower my calories? I spoke with my new doctor (I had recently changed) he said he could look at my body and tell I was exercising.."just keep at it." But I was tired of just "keeping at it." I wanted results...even just a consistent 1lb per week would have thrilled me...but I was struggling to lose .5 pounds in two weeks. I WAS FRUSTRATED!  In fact, I was so frustrated I honestly believe if I had not developed such a love for exercise as a way to keep stress at bay...and just the fun and friendship from my zumba class I would have said "I Quit!!!"

A couple of weeks before Christmas, I was browsing one of the hypothyroid sights I read,when I found some information about carb cycling, and remembered the segment on Dr. Oz. My curiosity was peaked. About the same time, I noticed a couple of people on the blogs talking about the 17 Day Diet.  I wanted to know more! I wanted to try something different...I wanted a new outcome! Most of early December I spent any extra time online reading about carb cycling...and then the 17 Day Diet. I found the book online for 12 dollars, and decided even if the diet wasn't for me there were recipes in the book that I might like..and it would be worth the money to be able to read more. I also started emailing with bloggers that were using the 17 Day Diet to get their opinions. The week before Christmas, I told Tommy that I wanted to try this new plan...to me the 17 Day Diet was just a structured way to carb cycle and if other hypos had had success with it, I would give it a try. The day after the day after Christmas I started to remove white sugar from my diet and then on Jan 1 I started the 17 Day Diet.
30 Days later, I have lost 8.5 lbs....more than I did during the entire year of 2011!!!

What is the 17 Day Diet? Well first of all...it is longer than 17 days...it is actually 4-  17 day cycles. I will complete the second cycle on Sunday and move to the third cycle on Monday. During the first 17 days you eat mostly veggies and lean meat (I was already doing that.) + 2 fruits before 2:00, and 2 probiotics( I was used to only eating one yogurt a day...now I usually have one plain greek yogurt and one glass of acidophylus milk). Plus two serving of healthy fat.
During the second cycle you alternate cycle 1 days with  cycle 2 days...which allows beans and starchy veggies before 2 in the afternoon, and some extra meat choices (but we are mostly a chicken and ground turkey family...so my meats haven't changed).

What has changed in my daily life???

Diet- I am still eating the same kinds of foods. And the same amounts...or maybe a bit more. The biggest change is the fruit before 2...because I often had fruit before working out in the afternoon. And no brown rice, pasta, or beans with dinner. Do I miss it? At first a bit, but not really now. And I can have those things at lunch if I really want them. I have also added a protein shake (trying to avoid a heavy soy protein powder) on some days(if I need more calories)...if I have had a harder or  planned a harder workout for the day. I am trying to avoid canned veggies as much as possible...opting for fresh or flash frozen. I am also using my myfitnesspal to track my calories (I was a pencil/paper with the occasional spark if I was unsure of something or anytime health). I never allow myself less than 1500 and usually top out at around 1800 unless I have really netted some calories with a workout. (Before I had many 1200 days).

Workouts- This has been the biggest change for me. I still workout at least 5 days a week, but I try to limit most of my workouts to 30 minutes (in the book he suggests 17 minutes, but I think that is mostly for beginner exercisers). I do still attend 2 zumba classes a week that are 1 hr each...and on those days I make sure to add some extra calories. I am still strength training a couple of days a week...and last week I added running back to my weekly plan. In the next few weeks I plan to bring my exercise up from 30 minutes to 45. I use my HR watch to track my calories during my workout.

Do I think the 17 Day Diet is for everyone?...probably not! Most of you are already working a plan that works for you.And that is awesome...why change what works?  But if you know you are giving it your all...and not seeing any change, don't be afraid to change things up a bit. Don't be scared to try something new! I was very open minded when it came to exercise, but I was terrified to change my diet.  I went into this with the mindset of...as long as it works...I will keep working it. Honestly, I didn't expect to see the result that I have. 8.5 lbs in a month is HUGE for me! (even though for some of you guys this would be a small loss in one month). And as long as I see consistent change in the downward direction I will stay with this program!

I will be honest in saying that I was scared to post about using the 17 Day Diet, because I didn't want a lecture about fad diets. Is this a Fad Diet...YEP! Look at the name. But for me the nutritional principals behind it make sense. It is a way of eating that I can be proud of....I am eating healthy, clean, food! I am eating food that is my fuel and keeping my tank full. I am still working out and drinking lots of water. Do I freak out if I need to eat my piece of fruit at 3? No, but I do try to get it in before 2...because that has been working for me.  Did I believe I would lose 20 pounds in a month? NO WAY...I didn't even think I would lose 5!! Do I believe I could continue this way of eating for the next month...three months...year? YES And the fourth cycle is a maintenance cycle.

I am in no way an expert about the 17 Day Diet. And if you are interested, you should read the book! But if you have questions I would be glad to give you my opinion.

16 comments:

  1. So happy you have found an eating plan that makes you feel good *and* gets results! Being in control and seeing results from your hard work are great feelings. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Mary! I am very excited about seeing results!

      Delete
  2. I think you have done enough research and understanding into the process that it isnt a fad for you. You have an uphill battle with your thyroid and its very hard to control it. Glad its working for you and I wish you continued success!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank Courtney! I did do quite a bit of research! And then planning! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sometimes that is the key - research, planning and sticking to it! When we start a new lifestyle we have to mentally be ready for the changes and when one thing does not work, take the time to look it all over again and go a different route!! Wishing you luck and what works best for you!!!

    MO-tivated

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am SO happy for you. I know how frustrated you have been with this struggle. I'm going to keep this diet in mind, too. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so happy that you've had success on the 17DD!! I know how hard it is, so major high 5!! Now if I can just get past the 1st cycle, lol!

    I was worried to blog about it to... seeing as how my diet blog is supposed to be about how you shouldn't diet, lol! But hey, it's just a few months.

    ReplyDelete
  7. WOW! I am so glad you have found something that works for you. It's nice that their are so many different diets and lifestyles for us to consider. Keep working the 17DD! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm very intrigued by this post! I will definitely look into this. Also I'm very happy that it's working for you, a MUCH deserved loss. keep up the great work :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. If I can answer any questions for you let me know! I know you are feeling some frustration right now!

      Delete
  9. Wow...that is a GREAT loss! I'm so happy for you!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Wow my Friend!!! So glad this is working for you!!! Keep up the great work and stay focused!!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Good for you, for finding something that works. A few of my good blog friends are following this and I got interested. Just finishing up day 3 on the first cycle. Funny, I'm a bit reluctant to talk about it on my blog, too, but it actually fits in my WW plan fairly well. I felt I needed a jump start and this is giving it to me. Keep us posted!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy you found a plan that works!!

    ReplyDelete