Friday, September 12, 2014

And then Life happened...

I spent last Friday night with my Mom in the ER. Earlier in the week, she thought she had a stomach virus, but had been feeling better. When I saw her earlier in the day on Friday, she said her side was hurting, but assumed that she pulled something from so much heaving. Friday night she called about 10:30 saying she was hurting and needed me to take her to the ER. We arrived at the hospital at 11:15 and had the pleasure of an all-nighter in the ER. And that, my friends, is when all (diet and exercise) went out the window. During our time at the hospital they determined that she had a stone embedded in her kidney and a very severe infection.  She was released at 6:30AM and I took her home with me, but not before stopping at Starbucks for a drink. I was exhausted so I felt I NEEDED this. I did order a small with skim milk and no whip, but with that first sip, it was over. After getting her settled at my house, I went back to  town to the pharmacy where I was supposed to be picking up antibiotic, nausea meds, and pain meds, but the hospital had over sent over the script for antibiotics. I spent two hours on the phone at the pharmacy with the hospital and finally had some pain meds. When I got back to my house, Mom was so very sick. And then I cooked a late lunch/early dinner and ate and ate and ate. Fast forward to Monday when Mom was even worse than Friday night and we called her doctor. He wasn't in the office because of a death in his family and his nurse advised us to head back to the ER. This time she was admitted. After she got settled into her hospital room, my husband got off work and came to the hospital while I went into work. I got home at 9PM that night with take out Mexican. Out other dinners through the week included spaghetti which I cooked using white noodles instead of wheat, Pizza, and some other form of take out that I can't even remember. It has been late when I have came home every night and I threw the idea of any exercise out because I was so tired.

Mom was releases last night, and she is back at my house. I skipped my WI this morning, because I just couldn't face the number that would be staring back at me. But today I am putting an end to this free for all. Back on track!! I am signed up for my very first trail run in the morning (about an hour away), and my Mom and Tommy are telling me to go. It won't be pretty after a week of trash food and no workouts, but I am going.

This week I was full of excuses as to why I wasn't following my plan. But that is what they were excuses. I could have done better. I should have done better. But now I am moving on.


  1. Oh man so sorry to hear about your mom. Thinking healthy thoughts for her!

    We all have bad days. It's being able to recover from them tha tmakes all the difference. You've got this!

  2. Valid excuses......and totally understandable. The big thing is how you recoup from the week. :-)

    Hope mom's feeling better!!!!

  3. Poor mom! I hope she's doing better!

  4. Absolutely valid excuses, and I applaud you for getting right back on track! Hope your mom is feeling better now!