Sunday, April 10, 2011

Little Red School House 5k

The Little Red School House 5k is a race I really wanted to do. The proceeds from the race go to buy school supplies for children of need in our county schools. However, Tommy and I were heading to Nashville early Saturday morning and I was worried about running us late..or having sore legs while making the 2+hour drive. Tommy said to run it if I wanted to, but I honestly wasn't sure if I would do it until I work up Saturday morning. 
I woke up early and debated doing the run for about 30 minutes. I am so glad I decided to run. I headed over to the run (about 30 minutes from my house). This was the first race I have done without Tommy going to cheer me on...and hold my stuff. I laced my car key into my shoes,and that worked great. I got registered, and picked up my swag bag (or lack there of...it only had a shirt and bottle of water). Threw them in the car...and headed to take a look at the race route. I am not very familiar with the community,and always have a fear of getting lost on the race course. Then it was time to line up. The first mile felt a bit long, but my time was right at 12minutes. The second mile felt really fast and I hit it about 25 minutes...the last mile was the hardest...it was sooo hot (compared to the temps I have been running in, when I crossed the finish line the temp was 86 degrees.) I crossed the finish line at 39:08 a PB for an official 5k :) I was thrilled!!! And glad I decided to run the race. I paced the first 2.5 miles with another runner,and then pulled ahead of her at the end when she started taking extra walk breaks. After the race,I went over and introduced myself. She lives about an hour away, but we exchanged phone numbers to keep in touch  about future races. I didn't stay for awards, because I needed to get home and shower again before we hit the road.
We have had a great time in Nashville. Running on the hotel treadmill (old and shaky) this morning was a bit of a challenge..but I got in my 1 mile for the 30 Day Challenge :) We are going to do some outlet shopping today and hit another game this afternoon. I am also hoping to hit up the Trader Joe's before we head home tonight :)

8 comments:

  1. You're in amazing shape! I could never just wake up and do a race. I hope one day I can be like you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's amazing!!! Congrats :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for sharing your race report, Jess. A PB and a new running buddy - what more can you ask for?? Sounds like a perfect weekend. XO

    ReplyDelete
  4. Woohoo! that's a great time, congrats!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Congrats on the PB!! Great job, lady. You are a total rockstar!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm so proud of you and congrats and the PB! So glad you got up and did the race b/c I am willing to bet that made your whole mood all weekend 10 times better!

    Did you hit up Trader Joe's? Do they have one where you live? I'd never heard of Trader Joe's until I started reading blogs and now I REALLY want one around here!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice race report and a PB! How great is that?

    ReplyDelete
  8. thanks for checking out my blog and my giveaway!! excited to follow you :)

    so glad you ran that 5k and ROCKED it! way to go! have an awesome day!

    ReplyDelete