Monday, January 28, 2013

Strength Training and Running Question

Question for those of you that strength train and run.
My friend that is helping me with my strength training said that I should do about 5 minutes of cardio, do the strength exercises, and finish with the cardio I had planned for the day.
On the day that you do leg exercises, do you still run or do you do another form of cardio?
 
Yesterday I did a quarter mile warmup walk, my strength exercises (legs), and then ran intervals of 3min run, 3 min walk, 5 min run, 5 min walk to complete 2.5 miles. About half a mile in, my legs were already tired, but I continued and finished feeling pretty strong. But today my legs are soo heavy...and calves are a bit sore. But maybe this has nothing to do with the running, and everything to do with the fact that it was my first real strength training with legs. 
What do you do?

2 comments:

  1. You're legs are definitely going to be sore and heavy the day after you lift and run, especially when it is the first day of lifting for your legs. I'd suggest keeping it the same as you are doing it (legs and cardio on the same day, strength training first then cardio), just be sure to stretch and give you legs at least a day off. If you do cardio every day, do some other form that is less stressful on your legs, like the eliptical or the bike.

    ReplyDelete
  2. The more iI think about this I am inclined to say on heavy leg days you should do light running. It seems like that is what i have been told and it makes sense. Then again though I am not 100% sure. Cardio always should be done but the amount should be changed, maybe.

    ReplyDelete